Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Resume and Cover Letter Tips

Summary, not objective

Whereas the resume for an entry-level position typically includes a general objective describing the type of opportunity desired, the experienced candidate will be better served by summarizing three or four skills that match the employer's needs. These highlights can appear in a short paragraph or quick "bullet" format.

Lead with experience, not education

There are other differences, too. Typically resumes of recent graduates provide education information after the objective. Although you should include this information on your resume, it's better to place it toward the bottom; your actual experience is more important than your education and should lead your resume.

Accomplishments, not just responsibilities

When detailing job history, don't fall into the trap of just listing responsibilities. Think in terms of what you accomplished by completing those tasks. In other words, don't just tell employers what you did; also tell them the outcome of your actions. "Developed departmental budget" could be a duty. "Proposed and tracked annual $500,000 departmental budget. Only division to meet deadlines and operate within budget during past three years" is a statement that details the results of your problem-solving abilities and clues in the employer to specific problems you can solve.

Include relevant activities, not hobbies

Clubs, organizations, and outside interests - a staple for entry-level candidate resumes - should be approached with caution by the experienced candidate. Activities that relate directly to your self-improvement efforts, e.g. continuing education, and the position you're seeking are important to include. Hobby-type activities should not be included.

Your resume isn't limited to one page

The length of the resume may also be different for the experienced candidate. Whereas a two-page document might not be appropriate for a new graduate, it can serve a valuable purpose for the seasoned professional. Often, the candidate has enough relevant accomplishments and experiences to expand to a second page. Content is more important that length.

Cover Letter Checklist

Which cover letter are you writing? A power cover letter or a limp cover letter? Check for yourself.

  • I really don't know to whom I am writing this letter, but that's OK. It can be read by anyone.
  • All I need to say in my cover letter is that I am enclosing my resume. The employer can look at it and see if he likes what he sees, he can call me.
  • I have no idea what the employer does or needs at this time. Anyway, it's not necessary to talk about that in the cover letter.
  • I don't have to write about what I have to offer the employer. She/he can figure it out from my resume.
  • I'll tell the employer to give me a call to set up an interview, and I'll just wait for the phone to ring.
  • I want to know the specific person who will be reading my cover letter and responding to it.
  • I want the employer to know that I have taken the initiative to learn about his organization and to think about how I can assist him.
  • I will make sure the employer knows about the specific aspects of my resume that directly relate to their needs by pointing then out in my letter.
  • I want the employer to know how I plan to follow up on my letter. I don't want to waste time sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. I will take the next step.

No comments: